[Rhodes22-list] Newbie anchoring questions

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 00:05:44 EDT 2003

Todd,

I single hand a lot and here's what I do.  Before I pull up the anchor, I
walk the line (ain't that a song?) back to the starboard jib winch.  Then I
start the motor, keep it in neutral and start winching up the rode, which is
easier than hand over hand.  This enables me to control both the anchor line
and the motor from the cockpit. It seems like every time you just get the
anchor off the bottom, you start to blow towards the shore.  You can slip
the anchor line into the jib sheet cleat anytime you need to attend to motor
and direction.  I have 10 feet of chain on my danforth, and just before the
chain meets the hull, I cleat it off and start motoring, dragging the
anchor.  Drag it until it's clean.  It will even surf if you're going fast
enough.  When you're out in bigger water and can drift for a minute or two,
put the motor in neutral and deal with the now clean anchor and chain.
Note: I use the starboard side for this to keep the anchor and chain as far
from the prop as I can.

Slim