[Rhodes22-list] I'm Confused Was (Stupid People Tricks)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jul 22 14:39:08 EDT 2003

Frank,

They are developing 2-stroke engines that meet and beat both EPA and CARB regulations specifically to meet the demand.  They believe they can build 2-strokes that will be lighter, quieter, cleaner, and cheaper than 4-strokes.  The 4-strokes will always have better fuel economy, but the new engines will be far more fuel efficient than the current generation of 2-strokes.

A lot of local environmental regulations were a stealth attempt to rid waters of PWC.  We don't see as much of that around here.  The weight to power ratio of 4-strokes makes them impractical for many PWC while driving up the cost and putting them out of reach of many kids.

Bombardier was the originator of the "Ski-doo" brand of PWC.  They plan to develop small clean light 2-stroke engines and put them right back into a new generation of PWC that will meet these local regulations that have banned them.

I knew the diesel outboard was a joke, and that it has been developed for various specific uses.  The hooker is light weight.  I know of no reliable light weight diesel.  That seems to be the trade off for a great diesel engine.

Bill