[Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Eaton, Gil GEaton at IKON.com
Tue Jul 22 12:39:34 EDT 2003

	Hi Mary Lou,
	I have used the GB vinyl coated anchor several times on the Elk
river, near the C&D canal, never had a problem.  It also has 6 foot of
coated chain.  I haven't anchored as yet in the Rock Hall area...  For me,
this has been a rotten year for sailing.
	gil

Gil Eaton
S/V Closing Time
Spring Cove Marina
Rock Hall, MD

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Lou Troy [mailto:mltroy at netreach.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 9:21 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Michael,
My wife is not going to lift anything!!!   ;-)  But I would say that even
26 lbs. is about the limit for what I want to routinely schlep around the
boat. We do not keep an anchor on the bow. For routine anchoring in a quiet
anchorage I carry the bag with the anchor and rode forward. On the
Chesapeake, the Danforth is great. Most bottoms are soft mud. It digs in so
well that we haven't worried about it resetting and extra chain would help
there. I think for routine anchoring if we add more chain, the Danforth we
have will continue to serve.  We do not always get it to set on the first
try but I'm very conservative about such things. I'd rather pull it up and
set it again if I'm unsure about it holding.

My larger concern is the "always ready" anchor. Is your "always ready" the
5 kg claw? What does it do on a mud bottom?  We keep the Danforth in the
lazarette in a bag in a ready state (anchor on top, chain beneath, rode
neatly flaked under that and the bitter end out through a grommet in the
bag for quick attaching.) We could deploy it pretty quickly from the stern
if we had to but we've never had to - our Honda is very reliable ;-)

I've also been debating a storm anchor as our current Danforth is really
not big enough for that. We've been relying on the fact that we have two
(the Danforth and the Danforth type from GB) aboard both with sufficient
rode to be set for a storm. In reality we've only ever set the one and have
probably not ever anchored in winds above 15 knots with maybe 20 knot gusts.

Does anyone use the GB Danforth type anchor?

Mary Lou