[Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:52:01 EDT 2003

Bruce,

I also anchor off the starboard stern. I keep my primary anchor and line in
a Rubber Made plastic laundry basket stored undrer the starboard cockpit
seat. When windy I drop anchor off stern and then walk up to the bow and
secure. If it is calm I secure anchor off starboard stern cleat so we can
enjoy the light breeze. We have very protected anchorages off the TN River
and I have quit using chain. I still carry about 8 feet on a second anchor
but I haven't used it in over a year. If a front moved in I can quickly move
anchor line to bow cleat and drop a second anchor.

I also raise the anchor from the cockpit. If you need to you can use the
winch to help as suggested by Slim. I hoist the anchor then drop it into the
rubber basket. I slide the basket under the seat and foreward so it can dry
out of the way. It just barel;y fits under the seat and is quite secure.  To
make sure anchor line doesn't get caught in the prop I don't start my motor
until I have taken up all of the slack and positioned the boat directly over
the anchor. You can fire up your motor and let it warm up while you finish
raising the anchor.

Also my R22 is a little bow heavy with an anchor stored on the bow pulpit so
storing anchors aft seems to balance the boat better..

Wally