[Rhodes22-list] Another Danforth question

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Tue Jul 22 21:59:35 EDT 2003

At 04:29 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, Michael wrote:
>if you do not get it to set the first time, why will it reset the first
>time? (it has a habit of skiping over the bottom when it
>happens, the point scrape trhe surface and do not dig in)

If the Danforth doesn't set the first time it's because we backed off too
quickly, or we fouled a branch or some other debris on the bottom or it's
very grassy in which case we'll move a bit away. I find that the way to get
the Danforth to set properly is to drop it gently straight over the side,
let out enough line equal to a scope of a bit less than 2:1 and then start
snugging the line. I'll usually let a bit more line out as I'm doing this.
Once it bites we snug it hard and then let out the rest of the scope. Once
you have let out sufficient scope there is a good chance that the chain
will keep the angle of the rode low enough that the anchor would reset if
it pulled out. My goal  when anchoring for an overnight is to always to set
it well enough so it doesn't need to reset no matter what the boat
does.Remember that we are almost always anchoring in very thick mud. The
entire Chesapeake is mostly mud. There are a few places with sandy bottoms
and there grassy areas that are difficult no matter what your anchor
(though I suspect a spade would be best for that). There is almost no rock
to drift into. Doesn't sound like a Bruce would do us much good. Most of
the big boats we see on the Bay have CQRs or Danforths.

Mary Lou