[Rhodes22-list] outboard advice

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Wed Jul 23 23:24:30 EDT 2003

here we go again :-)

First off take a look at the 9.9 HT long shaft(the exlong if stan can change out the mount), the 8hp is over  weight but a very nice
motor, the 9.9 is lighter and for 100$ you can reloacted the controls to the tiller and they work great thier, also stans linkage
system is geared to that motor. the yamaha high thurst is the only motor built for sailboats now. The large slow turning prop is
great around docks and gets the HP into the water. All the motor are desinged for light weight powerboats and have a hard time with
sailboats(thier highspped props never get upto full speed on a sailboat, even with a low pitch prop they still can not get a bite on
the water).

Now is 9.9 oversized for a small lake, you bet. you can use 6hp, on the great lake and costal alot of people use the 9.9.

I am sure you seen the great "2-stroke debate" so good luck

MJM