[Rhodes22-list] outboard advice

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 23 23:47:55 EDT 2003

Jerry:  Michael's answer is the best.  We have had a Yamaha 9.9 on our R22
for the past 10 years.  For the Florida inlets and working through some
storm fronts, they are great.  The high pitch prop and long shaft are great
for maneuvering the boat.  The alternator has kept our batteries charged up
98% of the time.

Ours is beginning to show signs of corrosion (we keep the boat in a slip
year round and so it does not get the fresh water flush that would probably
have kept the corrosion away) and will need to be replaced in the not too
distant future.  The Yamaha 9.9 would be my choice again even though I
believe a person could make do with a lot less.  While I prefer to keep the
motor controls with the engine as opposed to remoting to the tiller, that is
certainly a nice option.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"