[Rhodes22-list] Catalina 22 vs. R22

FNuttersNY at aol.com FNuttersNY at aol.com
Thu Jul 24 20:48:52 EDT 2003

I would think the Cat. 22 would point as close to the wind as the R22 but not
the case.  I have sailed side  by side with a few  and we seem to track close
but with that huge rudder and genoa I can keep it right on the edge and it
seems the boat is almost sailing straight into the wind.  I loosen the tiller
tamer and just sail with my finger tips. If I tweek the tiller  as the wind
picks up the boat just  leaps ahead and out paces the cat.  The stronger the wind
the beter she sails.  But the best feature in  my mind and now I'm spoiled is
the size of the cockpit and the lack of centerboard trunk in the cabin. A
great layout for a 22.