[Rhodes22-list] Mast Lowering

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jul 30 11:27:53 EDT 2003

Slim,

I have hoisted the IMF with one other guy (the key is the height of the taller person--as the mast approaches vertical, shorter people run out of leverage to move it the rest of the way and have to "throw it" the last few degrees)--it can be done sober.

I have also hoisted similar (but not as heavy) rigs using both winches and wenches.

If it's a calm day, and the load is properly balanced, and lines are properly attached, everything can go well.  But things can also go very badly.  Rigs drop.  People get hurt.  I would not advise this to anyone who has not done it before.  I would not do it on the water.  I would not do it on a windy day.  I would not do it with inexperienced helpers.  I would not do it if I were tired.

Stan has tried to develop a "bullet-proof" procedure that anyone can use single handed.   His current rig comes close.  It is possible to screw it up, but the rig will probably support the load, and it is much less likely that anyone will get hurt.

I think of it as cheap insurance, and I always recommend that people use a well designed system rather than hoping they will be strong enough, or alert enough, or smart enough to re-invent the wheel, with so much at stake.

Bill Effros