[Rhodes22-list] Mast Lowering

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Wed Jul 30 14:50:04 EDT 2003

Slim,
In lieu of a GB system, I have used my trailer winch which is what Bob also
did.  I make sure my main halyard is hooked on one end and use the other
attached to the winch.  I tie a bowline up as far as I can reach, and hook
the winch to the loop.  Tighten slightly to take pressure off the forestay
and forward shrouds and release them.  Reverse the winch and lower away.
With just the two of us we can lower the mast.  I do not have the IMF so I
guess mine's not as heavy as one with the IMF.  Works relatively well until
the winch got away from my wife last time and the mast fell the last couple
of feet and pulled the base place off (reported a couple of weeks ago and
since repaired).  I raise the mast by reversing the process, just make sure
the bowline on the halyard is not to high to reach once the mast is up! -
Rob

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway