[Rhodes22-list] another rudder problem

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 16:05:54 EDT 2003

Tom, Saroj, and Rummy,

I don't think Tom is talking about the clip on the pintal/gudgeon.  I
interpret the "stopper thingy" as the piece of hardware that grabs the
rudder downhaul.  The GB design is a little plastic plate that tightens down
on the rudder line with a thumb screw.  Is that it Tom?  If so, I had the
same problem.  It kept slipping, so I replaced the GB thingy with a small
cam cleat like the one that the rudder up haul line goes through.  It's
quick, easy and never slips.  There is one caveat to this--if you run
aground, something's got to give.  I'm pretty sure that the little cleat
would break long before the rudder, so I keep a spare onboard.  I try to be
always mindful of hitting the bottom because of this.  No mishaps in two
years of docking where it's shallow and beaching often.

Slim