[Rhodes22-list] Forestay Wire Size Upgrade

David Rasberry cinetics at acsinc.net
Mon Jun 2 23:59:20 EDT 2003

Bob,

If your forestay failed near the lower swage fitting the most likely cause
was crevice corrosion from moisture getting into the swage over time. Its ok
to go up one size on the wire, but you will not be able to properly tension
a larger wire without overloading the rest of the rig.  Static tension on
the wire is supposed to be between 10 and 20% of rated breaking strength.
For 1/8" wire, which is standard on the Rhodes, the breaking strength is
around 2100lbs. 5/32" wire is around 3100lbs, 3/16" wire is 4700lbs and 1/4"
wire is 6300 lbs. 5/32" is one size up from the rest of the rig, which is
plenty. One of my old lower shrouds failed under calm conditions with the
boat at the dock. There was no visible damage or discoloration or other
obvious outward sign of deterioration prior to failure. I replaced the
entire rigging gang immediately. If yours is original to the boat and 10
years old or more I would recommend the same. If you want to avoid the
problem of swage failure, get a 5/32" forestay with a Sta-lok fitting on the
lower end instead of a swage. they don't make Sta-loks for 1/8" wire or I
would have used them. Since I don't have a furler, I stayed with 1/8" on my
gloucester. I used Sailing Services of Miami for the new rig. They pack the
swage fittings with an anti-corrosion grease before compressing them onto
the wire and use a rotary hammer press that produces a tighter fitting swage
than the usual Kearney roll swaging press without deforming or cracking the
swage fitting.  SSM specializes in rigs for boats that spend their lives in
tropical salt water areas, so they use a premium grade wire alloy and
fittings and take extra measures to maximize corrosion resistance. If you
are in a rush, Riggers Supply in Greenville can make a new one up for you
while you wait if they are not too busy. They do mostly heavy gauge
industrial rigging like cranes. They use a Kearney roll swager for smaller
stuff. You might have to supply your own end fittings since they don't stock
marine hardware. They do have the wire though.

Razz the Gloucester sailor

Hi Rhodies, its been a while since I have been active due to family
circumstances, though I have been catching up on the list backlog every once
in awhile. PS Bob,Ed and Rummy, my sister gave me a Loos tension gauge for
Christmas, so if you want to tweak your rigs just holler.