[Rhodes22-list] Race results -

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:43:24 EDT 2003

Bob,

Even with the IMF maximizing sail trim (draft) for conditions helps. When
cruising I don’t mind luffing up to tighten outhaul but this was a race. The
wind picked up on the second upwind leg and I really wanted to flatten the
sail. I don't have a cam cleat. Easing the outhaul isn't too bad, unless I
let out too much. Tightening the outhaul requires luffing too much and if I
don't get it secured quickly I always loose just a tad bit of line as the
car slides forward. This is not a problem in normal sailing but when I was
racing solo it was a hassle and I lost a bunch of speed.

A cam cleat would be an improvement and would save time but I still need
something to keep car from sliding forward. I have heard some mention they
have some kind of way (a screw?) to tighten the car so it doesn't slide
forward when there is a load on it. I may try using a small line and tying
car all the way back on the aft end of the boom as a quick fix when racing.
There is enough mechanical advantage to tighten under load if the car
doesn’t slide forward.

Wally