[Rhodes22-list] Traveler set up

lcrowther lcrowther at cox.net
Mon Jun 16 12:59:08 EDT 2003

Rob,

I don't know if this is original equipment but the fittings are attached to
my backstays using the same technique as my backstay tensioning fittings so
I expect it is.  The setup consists of a block attached to each stay, a
single block on the starboard stay and a single block with a loop at the
bottom of the bale(?) on the port backstay.  The line is tied off to the
bale(?) on the port stay, goes through the block on the main sheet, through
the block on the starboard backstay, back through the same single block on
the mainsheet, back through the block on the port backstay, and down to the
cleat on the stern.  I used this rigging method because when the boat
arrived from Florida it was not rigged so I didn't know any better.  The
secret, as far as I am concerned is that the traveler line, which is the
same thickness as the backstay tightening line above it, is too thick to go
twice through the mainsheet block easily.  As a result, I have to kind of
slide the mainsheet block to where I want it but once it is positioned it
stays put.  Same way with tightening the traveler line, it is easy to do but
I have to again slide the mainsheet block to where I want it.  It is easier
than it sounds.

I will try to attach a blow-up of a old photo a friend took so you can (just
barely) see the Port block and how it is attached over my shoulder.  I will
try to get some better pictures later.

Lloyd
s/v Uhuru II