[Rhodes22-list] Depth meter transducer

Fred Kaiser fkaiser at netreach.net
Wed Jun 25 17:38:39 EDT 2003

Bob, The transom-mount transducer which came with my Raymarine L265
Fishfinder, (page 144 of 2003 WM catalog)is about 3" wide and has a plastic
arm on each side which I think are supposed to be mounted on the transom so
that the transducer can be pivoted up out of the water when not in use.  I
took a length of 1" PVC pipe (I think it was an inch will check next time
down to the boat.).  Plugged one end with a dowel and simply drilled
through the one plastic arm and the PVC and bolted the arm to the
pipe.  This put the transducer off center of the pipe so that the swim
ladder in the down position would not hit the transducer.  I took a
stainless hook and bolted it to the PVC so that it rests on the stern rail
with the transducer slightly in the water.  I took a u-bolt large enough
for the PVC pipe to fit into and cut off the under side of one of the
backing plates so that the backing plate can be lifted off the threads on
one side without removing the nut.  When I put the transducer on the rail
the hook keeps it at the right height and I put the u-bolt through the pipe
and the stern rail support next to the ladder.  I then just flip the
backing plate over the threads and tighten with a wing nut.  I will get
some pictures the next time down to the boat probably over the 4th.
It works really well and is simple.

Fred