[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22 Questions (perspective buyer)

David Walker david.walker5@attbi.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:49:09 -0500

David,

I bought my Rhodes for many of the same reasons you list.  It is my second
boat, my first a 17' daysailor.  I trailered it for the first year, have
kept it in a slip since then (4 seasons).

The Rhodes is a more substantial boat than the others you mentioned,
displacing more per foot than most boats (except a Flicka of course).  I
docked next to a Catalina 22 last year and the differences were striking.
The IMF main  (if you like it) is something that is pretty much not
available on any other boat in its price range.

Trailering is physically easy, the mast raising crane requires no real
physical effort, just time to rig the boat and derig it.  Plan on 45 90
minutes to rig depending on how practiced you are and how much you de-rig
for travelling.

As far as sailing is concerned, you can get as much performance out of the
Rhodes as much as you like if you coinfigure it appropriately.  With the IMF
and 175 genoa, I am competitive with catalinas, and O'days of similar size.
The one benefit is that I can do it single handed.  The boat balances well
and I usually sail with the tiller locked with a tiller tamer.  Some on the
list have gone the direction of performanace with full battened mains and
smaller jibs and full spinakers.  In that configuration the Rhodes makes a
pretty sporty boat (probably not quite a J22 though).

As for motors, there are many camps.  Sizes run from 4 to 9.9 Hp, both 2 and
4 stroke.  For lakes you can get away with 6, most of us on the coasts have
9.9's.  Reccomending a brand is very controversial on the list, but I
currently have a Yamaha 9.9 HT (hight thrust) which although dreadfully
heavy, has electric start, a reasonable alternator, good low speed (for
docking) and can get me through the strongest tidal current that I've run
into yet.

Good luck with your search.

Dave Walker
S/V Windswept