[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22 Questions (perspective buyer)

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:29:12 -0500

David,

Welcome to the list! Do check out the Rhodes website. There is lots of great
info.

>I'm wondering if those who own one would recommend the rhodes22
>as a beginners boat (relative to the size)?

The Rhodes 22 is very forgiving; it makes a great boat for beginners. It is
a very stable, dry, and easy to sail boat. With furling genny and main (if
you want IMF)  it doesn't get much easier. They are well built (mine is an
84) and yes they do cost more. On the plus side they hold value better than
most boats.

>We've got a Toyota 4 runner that I believe could manage the tow. But
>what kind of work is involved in trailering this boat? How is raising
>and lowering the mast? Is it something you have to muscle, or pretty
>straightforward?

I don't know the towing capacity of a 4 Runner. The boat with trailer,
motor, battery(s), and gear will weigh well over 4K#s. I have the mast
raising system from General Boats. This make things fairly easy and safe.
The IMF mast is very heavy and can be stepped (not solo) without the hoist
but it is more work than I want to mess with. The regular mast is lighter
and less of an effort but it still needs to be "muscled".

>What about outboard motors? Are there any other
>concerns that I should be thinking of?

As suggested check the FAQ on the Rhodes website for info about motors. Most
seem to find that anything between 6 HP and 9 HP, with long shaft (or xtra
long) work fine. I sail on inland lakes and rivers and use a 6HP Mercury
Long shaft 2 Stroke w/Electric start. Some like the lighter, simple 2
stroke, others like the quieter and more efficient 4 stroke. My boat had
this motor and it has worked like a champ. We love the push button start.

Good luck!

Wally, Knoxville TN