[Rhodes22-list] Handheld GPS Map

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:47:25 -0500

John

I have a Magellan 410 that is mapping and has remarkable detail in a
small package. It has far better resolution than the Garman's of same
age. Most places push Garman's for unknown reasons, but they usually do
not include the marine charting capabilities. If you can determine where
you are by coordinates of Long/Lat, you're  quite a navigator. Frankly,
I need to reference the numbers to a chart or map. Just numbers and a
squiglly line display don't do a thing for me. I need the map.

The newest Magellan's (mine is 4 years old) have the marine data already
loaded (Meridian Marine GPS) and it includes aids to navigation which
are not included in just about any other model and brand. You have to
get the chart software downloaded via cd in most, including my older
Magellan. Mine uses Mapsend data CD with C-Map charts. If you look at
Garman, the GPSMAP 76 is close to the Magelan but you need to get the
Bluechart CD to download the marine data. It's screen is very close to
the Magellan.

Readability is fine, but not as good as a 7" screen. You don't just
glance at it to see where you are. You need to look at it! It's a 2"x 1
3/4" display. As you change the range downward, it will display more and
more detail. Mine goes to something like 1/2 mile range, which lets you
see daymarks, depth, etc. It can function just like the big boys with
ability to store waypoints, routes, etc.

Mine has the land detail map built in too, and that has saved us grief
on driving trips. When we were looking to move from Colorado and were
visiting different locations, we would wander off the main roads looking
around. We got lost more than a few times and the GOS showed us where
the highways were.

Alex