[Rhodes22-list] Re: Amazing what you don't know

David Walker david.walker5@attbi.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:40:51 -0500

I've recently become involved with a group of volunteers that are working
under the supervision of a couple of very experienced National Park Service
rangers, completing the rigging, fitting out and training on the tall ship
Friendship (of Salem MA).  Friendship is a reconstruction of a 171 foot
three masted East Indiaman that is berthed in Salem at the Salem National
Marine Historic Site.  The hull was built 2 years ago at Scarano Boat
Building in Albany NY.  She is the largest wooden, Coast Guard certified,
sailing vessel to be built in New England in more than a century.   She will
sail this summer and hopefully the volunteers can get enough training to
help sail her to NYC in 2004 for the tall ships celebration.

Having owned and sailed a boat for the past 15 years, I thought I knew at
least a little bit about sailing, rigging, and seamanship.  After 3 weeks of
worming, parcelling, serving, splicing, sewing, and practicing furling
square sails on yardarms while standing on a swaying 1/2 inch rope (albeit
on a mockup only 2 feet off the floor)  I've learned how much I have to
learn to catch up with almost all the other volunteers.  Guys will spend
hours splicing a piece of line into a loop, worming, parcelling,serving and
coating it with tar to eliminate chafing, siezing it  onto a bullseye at one
end and siezing into an eye at the other to effectively build a Harken
Ti-Lite block the way they did it well before you could order from your
local West Marine.

Roger, you would love the engineering on this ship.  Although the rigging
and sail handling is all completely period, she has to be CG certified as
well.  That means, twin diesels, two generators, a complete electrical and
fire suppression system as well as powered seats that go up and down the
companionways to meet ADA, as well as radar and communications.  Most of
this 21st century stuff is well hidden and doesn't take away from the
historical teaching purpose of the ship.

I plan to do some photography for the group and I'll post some pictures late
r.

This link has some info if anyone gets this way
http://www.salemweb.com/frndship/default.htm.  Re the picture on the web
site is old, she now has full masts and standing rigging up.

Dave Walker