[Rhodes22-list] Handheld GPS Map

Jim Connolly jbconnolly@speakeasy.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:52:24 -0500

Thanks to everyone for the masthead photos and info.

On the topic of mapping GPS, does anyone have any experience with using a
PDA (i.e., palm or pocket PC) as a mapper for a GPS?

I have been considering this.  I have an old but trusty non-mapping Garmin
GPS-48.  The display is about 120x180 pixels, and is B&W (not even
grayscale).  Some of the lower-end Garmins have similar size displays, up to
180x240 in 16 gray scales.  I suspect the accuracy of a non-WAAS unit is
just fine, compared to the map scales you would normally be using on a small
map screen.

I have a Palm IIIc with 160x160 16-bit color screen.  Theorectically it
should be at least as readable as a low end grayscale Garmin, and I have
connected it to the GPS-48 and used it in the car for grins using a road map
program I have.  The only problems are that its memory is too small, OS is
too old for the new Maptech software, and its display is unreadable in
direct sunlight.

New Palm (Tungsten series) have 320x320 color screen, most Pocket Windows
machines are even higher resolution, and screens are reportedly useful in
daylight.

Cost is high ($300-$500) plus maybe $30 for a power/data cable.  You could
rationalize the additional expense as not entirely boating-related if you
use it for work and are a *very* good rationalizer.

On the plus side, you get an independant GPS if the map croaks, and you ged
a snazzy new executive work toy.

Jim Connolly

Dreaming of spring, and waiting for Palm to really tank and cut their prices
again.