[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Repair Question

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:55:33 -0500

Capt R.

Thanks, I have an epoxy syringe but the split is so narrow it will not fit
far in the crack. I had planned on using the syringe from both sides but I
am not sure if epoxy will reach the middle areas.

I had a leak in my wooden sailboat (Rhodes Bantam) and the syringe was to
large for this repair as well. I drilled several small holes in the crack
and injected epoxy in the holes and along the crack. It worked well but I
don't want to do this to my tiller. That is why I was thinking of using a
screw from the bottom (hidden from view) in addition to epoxy.

As to cleaning out the inside of the split; unless I widen the split that is
pretty much impossible. It really is narrow. I was able to get the tip of a
razor knife in the crack and cut away the old adhesive. I then drizzled
inside the crack two coats of a Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. I have used
this as a pre-coat on my wooden boat and it is great stuff. If there is any
rot inside the crack this stuff will seal it.

Maybe I will have to reconsider drilling some tiny holes for injection
points .....

Thanks and good luck sselling your R22. I don't know anyone in the market at
this time.

Good Luck,

Wally