[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Repair Question

John Tonjes johntonjes@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:03:29 -0500

Wally,
If the crack is really this small and it doesn't affect the strength of the
tiller, I would simply sand it smooth and varnish over it. Varnish will
fill the gap and as you layer over it, it should almost disappear,
especially since it's on the bottom. I used Razz's method of varnishing
using a thinned out Varnish for the first two coats, sanding before every
new coat. I recently put 12 layers on a used tiller handle and it came out
really nice. Should last a long time.
If the crack is structural, or you think it might widen, I'd drill a small
hole, fill with epoxy and then install a small brass screw. The epoxy will
prevent the screw from ever trying to back out. Then sand a varnish. I
suggest brass because it will blend in really well with the varnish and
would not be noticeable.

Rummy