[Rhodes22-list] Tn River Cruise

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:45:43 -0500

Speaking of TVA Dams -

My wife is going to visit family in TX at the end of the month leaving me
alone for a week. I decided that this might be a good time to move the R22
upriver for a short guest stay (maybe a week or two) at the Concord Yacht
Club two miles from my house and 85 miles upriver from my slip.

My plan is to sail about 30 miles up river from Blue Springs Marina past
Kingston TN. This stretch of the river is wide, deep and very scenic. The TN
narrows upriver of Kingston. I will then motor/sail to the Fort Loudon Dam &
Lock spending the night between Kingston and Fort Loudon.

After locking up 60 feet or so I will refuel at Fort Loudon Marina then turn
off the TN onto the Tellico River and sail towards the Smokeys and Cherokee
National Forest. I plan on spending a second night on the hook in a cove
with Mountain views. The Tellico is fed by Mountain streams and is home of
the infamous Snail Darter vs. TVA battles.

I will then sail back to Fort Loudon and motor/sail back up the TN River to
Concord Lake and Concord Yacht Club (about 30 miles). I plan on taking at
least three days for the trip. With the boat this far upriver we can cruise
to downtown Knoxville before we head back down river. My wife and I can make
the return trip some time in April

I know; not exactly a cruise to the Bahamas but I am really looking forward
to this trip. Round trip I will put close to 250 miles on my boat. The temps
should be just right and the river should be in full spring bloom.

Wally