[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Goering on Going to War

Bill Berner bberner@optonline.net
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:24:56 -0500

To use a metaphor - Cutting off someones head is not necessarily an
effective cure for brain cancer.

Getting rid of a dictator does not necessarily mean that what follows will
be better, and there is no indication that there is a plan for who to build
a new Iraq that will hold together the Kurds, Shiites, and Sunni's in a way
that doesn't just as brutally repress one or more of those groups.  I repeat
myself, but the US doesn't have a great record when it comes to sustained
follow through at nation building, and in Iraq we will be trying to do it in
a place where we are, to put it kindly, not trusted by the populace,
especially because of our abandoning the Kurds in the north and Shiites (I
think) in the South when they regbelled against Hussein after the last war.

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway
Hastings on Hudson, NY  10706

v 914 478 2896