[Rhodes22-list] Stove Issues

General Boats wwrhodes at rhodes22.com
Sat May 3 22:07:43 EDT 2003

Memo to all re: the new batten IMF,  stoves on gimbals and other non-essentials

Just drove in from Huntington Beach CA where we delivered a new boat to Frank
and Linda Mott and family, after showing it at the Oakland Show.

It was the first try with the new main in the Pacific in a white capped chop
with Catalina Island in view.  Weather conditions called for lowering the pop
top, lowering the boom and shortening jib and main.  While we had developed this
sail to try and recover sail area lost in going from the standard main to the
IMF,  it appears the better feature is the fact that when reefed, the shape goes
from a triangle to more of a trapezoid and, what seemed to me, to be better
performance.

With the reefed sail now being slightly more squarish, making sure that the
topping lift was slack and not fighting the mainsheet's pull on the boom and
positioning the boom outhaul car to meet the end of the sail and moving the
traveler car to remove leech twist, performance was impressive.

Like all Rhodies, Frank Mott is a terrific guy and he invites you all to come
sailing with him.

We received a call from a TX prospect who said his wife would not let him buy
the boat unless it came with an oven.
We said it could not be done on a 22 but not wanting to lose a TX sale we now
have a Rhodes with a ss oven on gimbals with two burners built into its top.
The boat has not not been picked up yet so we can't report feedback - but it is
impressive and we mention it in view of the current gimbals cooking thread.

We are running late on deliveries (slow labor and slow receiving of supplier
parts) so please forgive slow responses to any questions and parts shipments.

thanks,

stan/gbi