[Rhodes22-list] sailing dinghy

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 08:54:18 EDT 2003

Richard,

The rule of thumb for needing 35 feet doesn't
completly apply to my other boat because its a center
cockpit.  There is a pretty good open space between
the cockpit and the stern rail and with the help of a
winch I think, I could muscle anything up to about 70
pounds aboard.  Stowaway boats in England make several
folding prams that are patterned after the Mirror
dingy and could be stored on deck in their broken down
form inside a bag, either boat.  Chesapeake Light
Craft makes perhaps the cutest pram kit and recieved a
favorable review in Good Old Boat.  I'm starting to
lean toward one of the folding dinks which will fill
the need for quick trips to the dock for ice/beer/etc.
on long weekends and can be stored on deck for other
times.  The sailing option is not a necessity right
now but would be a nice option down the road when my
daughter is old enough to learn how to sail.  But
then, an Optimist would be a nice choice for that task
and she could compete in it.  My friends with trawlers
and houseboats all use jet skis for tenders but
somehow that just doesn't mesh with a sailboat.  The
Fatty Knees is very attractive but I may need a loan
from Ric to buy one, same problem with the better
quality inflatables.  Actually I've wanted to build a
small wooden boat for a while so this just may be the
impetus to get started.

Brad

The prams are the cutest and Cheseap