[Rhodes22-list] different subject - The Airline Mess

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 11:28:51 EDT 2003

Wally,

Actually, if one of the big airlines DID go under it
would solve a lot of problems for the ones that are
left.  I have friends at all of them so its not
something I want to see happen but it probably needs
to happen.  The 9/11 bailout loans/payments were a
"feel good" solution that may have been necessary at
the time to keep the country going psycologically but
is not a long term solution.  Some of the companies
that held their hand out were plain disgusting (I
won't mention names).  SouthWest is the only
consistantly profitable airline but not for the
reasons most people think.  SWA is heaviliy unionized
and pays very well.  They differ in that their
business model is more efficient and their employees
and equipment are used more productively.  The cheap
labor costs that the 1978 De-regulation bill was
supposed to bring has not spawned a single surviving
airline that hasn't gone through bankruptcy (if you're
thinking of Jet Blue, its too soon to make a
judgement, they haven't started making payments on
their French jets yet). The new reality of the
marketplace is that SouthWest style service may seem
like First Class compared to being shoe-horned into a
regional jet.  The good times were fun while they
lasted.  Long live freight!

Brad

=== message truncated ===