[Rhodes22-list] UPS update

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Mon May 5 21:08:46 EDT 2003

We got to fly the UPS this weekend. Winds were light and variable at the
time. The sail really made a difference in the light air (though it didn't
do a thing for the variable part ;-)  )  I was surprised at how easy it was
to manage - it's a big sail but the air was so light I didn't bother with
the winches. The furler base does bump a bit on our solar vent but that
doesn't seem to affect anything. We used the genoa cars and tried it on
most points of sail - sometimes within seconds of each other without moving
the tiller. We rigged it before we went out and just laid it fully furled
across the cabin top - the air was so light we didn't need to worry about
it going anywhere.. It didn't interfere with the genoa. We don't have our
halyard run aft so I had to go to the cabintop to raise the sail (short
arms) but that was easy as well.

Also got to try out the new outhaul system for the main. What an improvement!

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA