[Rhodes22-list] Crazy Weather

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 12:57:35 EDT 2003

Well after 12 - 15 inches of rain last week the weekend finally had some
sunny weather. Temps shot up to the high 80s and the breeze was really
blowing.  Saturday had the heaviest winds I have had the R22 out in. Steady
20 – 25 knot plus with gusts up to 35. The wind was blowing against a 2 or
3-mile current making for a lot of chop and whitecaps.

Saturday Jenny and I were barely able to get out of the slip. The wind was
driving us into the dock but we made it. The river is still a mess with
logs, branches, and parts of whatever floating downstream. We had the boom
in the lowered position with the main slightly furled. My 125 genny was
furled to about a 100. We had the water to ourselves for the first couple of
hours. A couple of sailboats made it out later that day but I didn’t see any
other boat less than 35 feet out! Once we had the boat balanced we had a
great sail and headed back in around sunset.

I had the motor in idle about a eighth of a mile away from the marina with
the wind behind us. The wind was blowing us at least 4 knots with no sails
up. I had to use half throttle in reverse to help slow us down. I overshot
the slip because of the wind but was able to leap to the dock and apply some
brakes. With Jenny’s help we got things under control and managed to get the
boat safely in the slip. I was glad to have the extra hands.

What an exhausting day! Sunday the wind was blowing even harder and we
decided to stay home.

I hope some of you got out!

Wally