[Rhodes22-list] Anne & Wally

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 10:34:22 EDT 2003

They must be keeping the water levels high on your
ends so us good folks in the middle can enjoy our
lake.  Actually the water level is quite high but all
the marinas are still dry.  My other boat hit the
water last Thursday and I motored it from Aqua Marina
to its new home at the State Park Marina.  The rudder
was frozen from being on the hard for the winter
combined with Chesapeake water and Aqua Marine offered
to haul it for free and fix it while I was out of
town.  I looked around at all the 50 ft.+ half-million
dollar boats in the yard and remembered all the
warnings about them not coming in on budget for
repairs.  I was able to get access to the rudder post
from the aft cabin and free it myself, and then
practiced tacking while docked about a hundred times.
It may have looked a little strange but it worked and
was free!  Fan and Cora went with me to the lake
Saturday and I spent a couple of hours finding
cubbyholes for everything while a friend of Fan's took
the helm on the "iron ginny".  I came topsides and saw
we were in 10 feet of water and realized if it weren't
for the high water we'd be aground.  Cora had a good
time exploring every corner of the boat until she hit
her head but got over that quickly.  Does any one have
an idea how long its going to take the Corps to get
the water level back to normal?  Flying in from El
Paso this morning I could see the Mississippi was
still in its banks but not by much.  Since I no longer
live in an Airstream trailer in the river bottom I
don't pay much attention to the river stage anymore,
however, the level of "Old Man River" determines how
much water is released everywhere else.

Brad