[Rhodes22-list] Windspeed/wind direction indicators

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 17:17:49 EDT 2003

Walter, I agree w/ Micheal about keeping it simple.  I have considered
getting a windspeed/direction indicator to help beginners learn to sail but
have enough stuff on my dc system right now.  I just heard of a wireless
system that would probably be my solution if I decide to spend the big
bucks.  I currently use the windex and look at the waves.  It gives me all
the information I need but the first time sailors get vertigo and sail in
circles while stareing at the top of the mast so I also installed a couple
of flys on the lower aft stays.  Only the windward tale gives the correct
direction, the leeward is effected by the genny.  Michaels solution to
securing the cabin has to do with the fact that you can still get into the
cabin w/o sliding the hatch.  Just lift the poptop and remove the door.
Many of us tie the poptop down by using the bar to some fixed spot in the
cabin.  To prevent the hatch from sliding I would reinforce the "bump".  I
would not spend too much time, If someone had the time and privacy to get
into your boat they will by more destructive means.  The lock with the bar
tied down will prevent a quick snatch and grab.  Good luck, tell us what you
go with.

Bob Weber