[Rhodes22-list] New Bush Economic Plan

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 11:25:19 EDT 2003

This of course was written as satire but its actually
not that far fetched.  In the early eighties I worked
part-time as an auditor for a CPA firm to supplement
the $700 a month pilot job.  My first solo audit was a
"crime prevention" grant from HUD to an impoverished
Little Rock neighborhood.  The grant was administered
by United Way which scraped off 15% for what was
basically bookkeeping.  Roughly a 100 grand was spent
on playground equipment that quickly disappeared and
another half-million was doled out 20 bucks at a time,
sometimes 8 people to a family, as stipends for acting
as "crime watchers".  Most of the $20 checks were
cashed at the same liquor store.  I wanted to write a
negative audit report buy my boss reminded me this was
a "boiler plate" financial audit, not an operational
audit.  It was the last one I ever did.

May 14, 2003
Bush Dumps Tax-Cut Plan, Will Take Over Economy
(2003-05-14) -- U.S. President George Bush abandoned
his tax-cut proposal today and will now push a plan
which calls for the Federal government to hire all
unemployed people and buy all the extra stuff that
American companies make.

"Since polls show that people expect the government to
fix the economy, we're going to fix it," said Mr.
Bush. "I used to believe that individuals and
corporations were responsible for their own business,
but I was malinformed."

Under the new Bush economic plan, the government will
erect cavernous warehouses throughout the nation to
hold all the surplus it buys from American
manufacturers. Many currently unemployed people will
work in the warehouses, or as buyers.

All Homeland Security agencies will increase staffing
until the unemployment rolls are depleted. Many
homeless people will work undercover, "just keeping an
eye on folks" near major buildings and tourist
attractions.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation will team up with
the Federal Reserve and hire hundreds of new employees
to investigate the disappearance of Adam Smith's
invisible hand.