[Rhodes22-list] A couple of questions

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 08:39:44 EDT 2003

Steve,

Congrats!  Since you moved your boat I assume the mast
is currently down.  It will need to be down to remove
the IMF.  I did this job about six months ago to send
the main (and genoa) off to SailCare for cleaning and
conditioning.  Its been long enough ago to forget all
the nit-noy details but basically it goes like this.
The furling tube with mainsail wrapped around it
slides out the bottom of the mast.  The sail is held
in place with screws and a split plastic collar.
Remove the screws and open up the collar.  Once the
furling tube is removed and supported on a flat CLEAN
surface, the whole process will be pretty intuitive
and simple to figure out.  If the sail doesn't slide
out of the groove in the tube easily, you've missed an
attach point somewhere. My guess is that unless the
storage area was really dry you'll have some mildew
stains on the sail.  The SailCare cleaning will cost
you about $100 each for the main and genoa.  You'll be
happy with the results.

Brad Haslett