[Rhodes22-list] Mast hoist system

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 09:40:31 EDT 2003

Bob,

I'm assuming you found "never, never, land", somewhere
around 45 to 60 degrees of mast angle where it is
somewhat unstable and wants to go to one side or the
other. Am I correct?  My boat (soon to be their boat)
has the later model mast raising system with the
forward mounting point for the hoist but if my high
school physics serve me correctly it shouldn't make
that much difference in the force required.  One of
the keys is speed.  Assuming you have the shrouds
connected correctly, there is still a period of
instalibility somewhere there in the middle.  After
several practices I found that speed through that
period of instability is the key.  (It reminded me of
rotation at takeoff on a DC-10 or manual gear
retraction on a Mooney but that doesn't help much does
it?)  The first time I raised the mast I did it very
slowly and nearly scared the dogs**t out of me.  After
a few attempts I did it at a high rate of speed and it
went a lot smoother.  Having someone on either side
holding a line attached to the mast would make it a
no-brainer but the system is well designed and does
work single-handed.  The forces change as the mast
goes up/down but speed hides it.  There are a lot of
folks on the list with a lot more experience than me
and hopefully at least one will point out where I'm
full of, well, let's hope they answer your question.

Brad