[Rhodes22-list] Getaway's Matron Voyage

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Thu May 29 11:03:32 EDT 2003

Getaway made it successfully from St. Louis to southwest Virginia, although 13 hours at 60 mph over two days is a bit tiresome.  I found space at the bottom of my driveway to park her since I don't think I can get her up my driveway (you can tell you live in the mountains when the top of your driveway is 220 feet higher than your bottom).  Got her out to Claytor Lake where, thankfully our friends Mark and Julie were there to assist with mast raising for the first time (thanks guys!).  Bob (former owner) said he used the trailer winch to raise the mast so we tried that which worked pretty good.  I'm going to have to make one of those crutches though.  Mark brought theirs and I can see the value in it.  It sure helps to have friends who know what they're doing in these situations.  The launch went OK, although it is a bit un-nerving to submerge the back end of your Jeep, even with the extension attached.

We sailed around a bit to get the hang of everything and toasted her matron voyage (guess it's not her maiden voyage anymore).  The marina is out of slips for the season (grrrrr) so we got a transient slip for the long weekend.  Sunday, Sandra and I went out by ourselves and Monday we were going out again, although engine trouble (the blasted thing wouldn't start) kept us in.  I'm not comfortable enough to sail out and in yet, especially since we were becalmed the pervious day.  So, load her back on trailer and Mark and Julie came up just in time to help us lower the mast (do you see a pattern here?).

All in all, a good first time on the boat in the water.  I have a question about motors though (see next post so I can keep the subject lines correct, want to follow the rules :)  - Rob

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway