[Rhodes22-list] Motors

John Tonjes johntonjes at earthlink.net
Thu May 29 11:32:06 EDT 2003

Rob,
There has been a lot of discussion about motors on this list. What you need
depends on where you sail and the conditions you are apt to encounter. I
sail on an inland lake and have a 8hp Tohatsu, 2 cycle, long shaft. It
weighs fifty pounds and burns a gallon of gas per hour at full throttle.
Needless to say, I never run it at full throttle. It is quiet compared to
kmost 2 stroke engines and has run flawlessly for the five years I have had
it. It is easy enough to start so that even my wife can do it.
There are at least two other R22's on my lake with the same engine and they
like their's also. Four stroke engines weigh more, are more efficient
fuelwise, are quiet, but are prone to more problems than you would see with
a good 2 stroke. Environmentally speaking, the four stroke is cleaner, but
how often do we actually run our motors for long periods on an inland lake?
The 8hp Tohatsu can be purchased for around $1500.00 plus freight.

Rummy