[Rhodes22-list] Stan, CAUTION, politics ahead

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 11:34:33 EDT 2003

Rik,

I was poking fun at President Bush's mangling of the English language. If
you don't think he has a problem speaking you haven't been paying attention.
Due to my own carefree youth and half assed efforts in college I will not
hold his C average against him. I do know he would of never gotten into Yale
with out the help from being a legacy. In any case I didn't question his
intelligence but it would be pretty easy to do so.

I agree making money is not bad, never said otherwise. I do think going to
war for financial gain is wrong regardless of how many jobs and paychecks
are generated. Don’t you? It doesn’t sound like it and frankly that is quite
scary. People are not focusing on the fact that some corporation is going to
make money on this deal. They are focusing on the fact that our President
and Vice President have ties directly or indirectly with the corporations
that are going to profit. I also realize that there are not many companies
in the world that can clean up the mess in the oil fields. At the same time
one needs to consider how the mess got there in the first place. If Bush and
Cheney had no ties to the corporations or industries there would not be near
as much out cry.

Even our leaders repeatedly disagree with you; they deny the war is about
money. First it was about WMD and then it was about freeing the people. It
is now obvious that our intelligence was terrible or we were deliberately
misled regarding WMD. I still have hopes that our intelligence was bad and
that we weren’t sold a bill of goods. If one looks back on Powell’s speech
to the UN it is almost laughable.

I am not sure who has the highest standard of living but by most indicators
it is not the US. We are neither the wealthiest nor the smartest. We don’t
have the longest life expectancy, or the cleanest environment. Don’t get me
wrong I love our country but I am curious as to how you are measuring
“standard of living”. If you are measuring freedoms we lead the way but we
are in danger of having some of our freedoms reduced.

I am not sure how recycling got in the mix here but I agree there is a cost
to any business. When the costs exceed the profits it is not good business.
There is also a cost in fouling our air, land, and water. We need to find a
balance so the economy can grow while reducing the damage to our
environment. Obviously a lot of work needs to be done here and we have made
great strides. We just need to keep trying harder in this area.

Wally