[Rhodes22-list] Steep Launch Question

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri May 30 10:46:31 EDT 2003

Julie,

I'm confused re your description of how pressure from the boat during the
launch caused the trailer's bow V-stop to "pop off"?  The hard rubber bow
V-stop on my boat trailer is thru-bolted.  Unless it were squeezed hard
enough to rupture the hard rubber casting or shear off the thru bolt, it
can't "pop off".  Or did you mean that the bow of the boat itself "popped
off" the rubber V-stop & slammed down into some metal part of the trailer?

If the rubber V-stop casting or the thru bolt somehow failed; then, they
were either defective or old & worn out.  Replace them with new pieces/parts
& all will be well.

Rollers are not intended to be used as bow stops, so I don't recommend
changing the bow V-stop to a roller.  Consider upgrading your bow V-stop to
the newer clear or yellow urethane rubber models.  These premium bow V-stops
cost a little more than black rubber, but they won't leave black marks on
your hull.

Assuming it was the boat that popped off the V-stop, the solution is to keep
the bow hard up against the V-stop during the launch.  Think of the boat
being launched as a teeter-toter.  As the stern goes into the water, it will
start to float.  As the stern rises, the bow must drop.  The bow V-stop is
capable of pivoting on its thru bolt.  If the bow of the boat is held
tightly up against the V-stop; then, the stern of the boat will rise up as
the trailer is submerged & the boat will rotate around the bow V-stop.  Note
that restraining the bow up tight against the V-stop is only necessary on a
very steep luanch ramp.  Basically, if you are concerned that the launch
ramp is steep enough that the boat might slide off the back of the trailer
prematurely; then, tie the bow to the V-stop.

On a launch ramp with a more reasonable slope, the SOP is to have the boat
completely free of the trailer, motor & rudder up, tiller locked amidships.
Keep the bow secured to the trailer until the stern of the boat is about
15-20 feet from the water's edge.  Make certain you are properly lined up
with the launch ramp; then, stop & release the bow line.  The trailer is
backed down into the water at walking speed, say 3-4 mph.  It's very
important to have the trailer properly lined up with the launch ramp, drive
smoothly, & don't touch the brakes until the boat is in the water!  When
only about 4 feet of trailer bunks are still visible above the water, the
brakes are applied sharply.  The boat will slide backwards off the trailer
slick as a whistle!  You can even do this launch singlehanded if you tie a
bow line onto the trailer or tow vehicle.  Once the boat is clear of the
trailer, you walk it over to the dock, tie it off, make certain any dock
lines are not fouled on the trailer or tow vehicle, & then drive the trailer
back out of the water.

I frequently launch & retrieve Dynamic Equilibrium single handed with this
technique.  I can launch & retrieve at least as quickly as any other 22' LOA
boat, power or sail.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium