[Rhodes22-list] Hey Wally

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 14:18:23 EDT 2003

Wally,

We've been real lucky in that area so far.  Fan's
parents just turned seventy but are in pretty good
health all things considered.  They were here about a
year ago and planned to stay several months.  Her
mother was suffering kidney problems and complained
the whole time, making us all miserable.  We took her
to our local doctor on our nickel and he said she
needed to get back to China for dialysis.  She's fine
now.  Fan's dad returned a couple months later by
himself and spent three months with us and had a ball.
 He'd get up early to practice Tai Chai, bicycle with
the dog, fix stuff, walk the dog, mow the yard, walk
the dog, tinker, walk the dog.  Our dog lost 5 lbs and
went into depression when he returned to China. He's a
retired mechanical engineer but still does consulting
work for three different companies.  All three paid
him his usual fee for the time he was gone so he'd
come back to work when he returned home.  My dad is 82
and my mom 78.  They're still independent but
sometimes I wonder for how much longer.  Dad's finally
softened enough to accept some financial support.  I
gave him the truck for Christmas and make an end run
around them by sending money directly to the gas
company in the Winter and the electric company in the
Summer.  Both Fan and I have depended on our siblings
to do the heavy lifting.  Fan's brother and sister in
Beijing get all the ugly detail work and my sister,
who lives about and hour from my folks, takes care of
that type of stuff on our end.  We lick stamps and
call on the phone.

We refinanced twice last year, the last time at 5.125%
and I thought, "theres no way it will go lower than
this!" NOT!  Unfortunately, that's a sign of just how
anemic the economy is.  With money that cheap you'd
think people would be spending like crazy.  I only
wish we were interested in buying a bigger house or a
farm somewhere.  We're not big Memphis fans and have
all the house need here, but don't know where else we
want to live either.  You can get 5.5% on a 15 year
boat loan.  Hummmmm, nah, better not go there!

Brad

PS - 901-850-9193 or 901-409-3700 cell