[Rhodes22-list] mast raising

Rik Sanberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 15 20:44:53 EDT 2003

Hi Morg,

Welcome to the Rhodes list. I am not really an owner anymore, more like a
Rhodes alumnus. But I think I can give a reasonably good answer to your
question.

No, there is no muscle required. When you buy an R 22 with the intention of
raising and lowering the mast yourself, you also buy the "mast raising
system". With this system, after a little practice, you will be able to
raise and lower your mast, BY YOURSELF, in probably 45 minutes or so. You
will not break a sweat from the effort, maybe from the heat, but not the
effort.

The heavy lifting is all done by a winch. The mast is kept under control
through all of this by the stays and shrouds. All you really have to do is
hook all of the stuff up where it belongs and turn the winch handle. It's
really quite simple.

Take Care
Rik, S/V Happy Little Girls 2, PSC Flicka,
Formerly, S/V Country Rhodes, R 22