[Rhodes22-list] mast raising

bgreenwald at optonline.net bgreenwald at optonline.net
Thu Oct 16 17:34:30 EDT 2003

Morgan,

I have only raised and lowered my mast a few times, always carefully, and while I have yet to achieve the "spec'd" time, I too agree it is attainable. The biggest time consumer for me, especially doing it single-handed, is constantly checking for anything binding, stays getting caught, etc. Moving the mast into position with the mast cradle is never a problem.  My only difficulty is dealing with the roller furler - I have a Harken - which drags forward and aft as the mast is lowered and raised.  I am sure there  is a creative way to control the furling drum and keep it from scratching up the deck - I've tried using bungee cords but with only limited success - but I haven't figured it out yet.  That problem, by the way, is alleviated by removing the sail first but I'm sure there is another solution.  I know I can put a piece of carpet on the deck to protect it but that still requires moving the drum by hand as the mast is changing its angle to the deck.
The mast raising system is marvelous and I whole-heartedly endorse it.

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II