[Rhodes22-list] mast raising

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 16 21:08:33 EDT 2003

Morg:  I missed some of the posts concerning your question about raising and
lowering the mast with an IMF and the Genoa as a package.  This is a simple
task with GBI's raising and lowering system; however, it is a massive
undertaking unless you are built like Arnold or the Hulk.  I "wrestled" with
lowering and raising without the system on several occasions.  I would never
do it again without the system.  With the system you can do it with one
hand.

Bob

> >    Hi,
> >
> >    Stan of GB asked me to write to the list to get an unbiased answer to
> >    my question concerning raising the mast. How difficult is it to do
> >    with the main, jib, and boom attached? It looks like I would be
moving
> >    a heavy piece of metal into place and then raising it up. Since I am
> >    not the Arnold Sch. type it looks difficult even with the mast
raising
> >    device. I also would like to know if it takes under an hour to raise
> >    the mast and launch, or retrieve.  I would be using the boat on Lake
> >    Champlain, Long Island Sound, and the islands around Rockland ,
Maine.