[Rhodes22-list] Perfect ending!

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Oct 29 07:15:18 EST 2003

Jim,

When my two sons were young, we used to go out sailing together.  Quite
often, their mother didn't come with us.  I never pushed the sailing.  I let
the boys drive &/or trim sails when they wanted to, didn't make a fuss about
the grape jelly stain on the genoa sheets, & let go down below in the cabin
to take a nap or play with their toys when they got tired of sailing.  When
they grew a little older, they would meet me at the door with their PFD's on
& carrying mine when I would get home from work.  Now that they are 17 & 20
years old, the most likely scenario is that there is simply an empty slip
when I get home.  They will be out sailing with their friends.  I'm lucky if
they fill up the gas tank.  We've used our R-22 as our magic carpet to get
us out to wilderness areas that are nearly impossible to reach without your
own boat.  We've had a lot of exciting adventures & the boat has been a huge
part of it.

On memorable incident happened at the marina on Middle Bass Island in
western Lake Erie in the summer of 1993.  At the time, Daniel was 10 and
Gary was 7 years old.  We had just made a N-S Lake Erie crossing from Pelee
Island, Ontario.  The marina on Middle Bass Island is privately operated by
the Lonz Winery & has space for about 40 boats.  There were about 4 other
boats in slips when we arrived just before sunset.  We motored around the
marina basin for a couple of laps while we dropped sails, prepped dock
lines, put out fenders, etc.  I could see there was a small group of
chlidren, that were about Daniel & Gary's ages, playing on shore.  I asked
them if they wanted to handle the docking.  The wind was very light & there
was no current or waves, so it was a pretty easy docking situation.  Daniel
won the coin toss, so he took the helm & Gary handled the dock lines.  I
just stood in the cabin with my head sticking out of the sliding
companionway hatch & watched.  Well, they handled the docking beautifully!
The kids on shore just stopped what they were doing & watched.  So did their
parents on the other boats.  Both Daniel & Gary were so proud they were 10'
tall!  After securing the boat, they joined the group of kids on shore as
instant heros.  Later that evening, around the campfire, some of the other
dads asked me how I got my boys to be so proficient at such a young age.  I
told them you should never yell & always try to create an environment on
board wherein it's OK to make a mistake as long as you learn from it.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium