[Rhodes22-list] Genoa track question

Dan Bodnar dsbodnar at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 22:24:11 EDT 2003

Bob,
I think you will be a lot happier if you drill and tap for machine screws.
Any self tapping screw will sooner or later cause cracking in the gelcoat.
The cracks can become a source of water migration into your core.

Did Rummy suggest drilling the holes oversize, and filling them with epoxy
and then drilling and tapping the epoxy plug?  From what I've read, this is
the method of choice for a first class job.    (It's  a good idea to chamfer
the top of  the hole. This does two things, helps prevent the gelcoat from
cracking and provides a groove for the caulking, to help seal the threads.)
Dan Bodnar
S/V QOL (Quality of Life)