[Rhodes22-list] Winch Problems

jmh123 at juno.com jmh123 at juno.com
Thu Sep 11 17:31:17 EDT 2003

I have an '85 and the winches were very stiff -one was almost frozen. I followed the usual lubrication instructions to a "T". I got a small amount of improvement, then the winches tighten up again (we're talking with no load on them!).

They were difficult to get apart and to put back together --had to really push down to get the "collar" to go back down on the winch.

Figuring I might have to get new winches anyway, I took some very fine emery cloth and carefully sanded as evenly as possible all the way around. I was careful to clean up the "dust" and checked frequently to see if the collar would fit better.

It seemed like a drastic action, but they turn freely now and apparently I did not get them out of round.

One other thing on the winches, if you have a plastic seal at the bottom of the winch handle socket, push that down with a screw driver or short length of dowel while pulling up on the winch.

John Hill
S/V Clarity