[Rhodes22-list] Tow vehicles.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 14:20:05 EDT 2003

One of the most asked questions on this list concerns tow vehicles. Well,
last weekend I finally had an opportunity to put mine to the test.
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. It came with automatic transmission,
factory tow package and the V6, 3.9 liter engine. We towed a R22 approximately 70
miles through eastern Georgia which has some long and fairly steep grades. The
boat was on my single axle trailer and it towed perfectly. No fishtailing and
it climbed the hills without ever dropping below 50 mph, but the engine was
humming. Just to try everything out, I climbed to 75 and we never experienced
any problems. Most of the trip was done at 65 mph. My partner was surprised at
how well it towed the R22 and didn't think the V8 would have had anything more
to offer. The coolant temperature climbed slightly on the grades, but went
down quickly once we flattened out. We were in no danger of overheating at any
time, although the outdoor temperature was around 80 degrees.
All in all I was very happy with the way everything went. I would recommend
this setup as a great tow vehicle. I don't know how it would handle the really
steep grades in the Rockies, I think that might be better handled with the 8
cylinder.

Rummy