[Rhodes22-list] Headsail furlers.

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Wed Sep 24 10:19:18 EDT 2003

Rummy,

   I second Mark's opinion.  It looks like I have the same furler he has and
it works fine.

My only criticisms of the CDI are:
1: Headsail changes aren't trivial (probably not an issue if you just keep
that 175)
2: The drum seems a bit cramped for such a large sail. Occasionally the wrap
on my drum gets too big for the housing. And you use a larger sail than I
do.

Take a look at the Schaeffer snapfurl, too.  I know Steve has been very
happy with his and the design addresses both of the concerns I have with the
CDI.  My issue with the Schaeffer is that it requires a halyard on the mast
(the CDI halyard is on the furler).  I wanted to keep that halyard free for
my spinnaker (which I hardly ever use...  hmmmmm).

Either way you go you should be happy. I think they are both fine furlers.

--Doug