[Rhodes22-list] Winter Storage

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Thu Sep 25 09:58:41 EDT 2003

Jim,
We store the mast in the garage (having the room and not wanting to leave
it outside with all of  the sails attached). We put a tarp over the boat
supported by a wooden frame. The frame is notched to go over the stern rail
and bow pulpit. We put weights (soda bottles filled with sand) hung from
the grommets to hold down the tarp. The tarp is tied at the bow and stern.
This works pretty well for us but we don't get as high a snow load as you
do. We keep the boat at the house and can keep an eye on it. I wouldn't
want to leave everything up on the mast crutch. It's sturdy but it would
create a lot of tarping difficulties. If we were going to use the mast as a
support, we'd lower it to the stern rail and support it at the
tabernacle.  Attached is a pic of our wooden frame.

Mary Lou