[Rhodes22-list] Motor Sailor?

Christine Allison sailnut at asan.com
Thu Sep 25 10:24:01 EDT 2003

> How can you think that a motor sail boat will be less strenuous
> than sailing a Rhodes.  You will be bending and stooping more to fool
> with the motor than you want to know. >

The Rhodes has a very wide cockpit.  When beating I have to fully extend my
legs to brace up against the leeward seat.  That's were my problems begin.
The extension causes cramps, weakness and other unplesantries in my right
leg when I have to scramble after tacking or similar evolutions.  The Nimble
has a very narrow cockpit and in any event I would not do much windward work
under sail

On the other hand even though advertised as a 24 it's much larger on deck
really a 28 and MASSIVE.  Perhaps/probably much more boat then I need/want.

There is also the option of one of Nimbles small outboard displacement hull,
pilot house,  trawlers/tugs.  They make a 19 foot model that is the saltiest
sea going object you have ever seen.  It's a Ted Brewer design and the
company makes a very high quality product.  The cruising speed is about that
of a Rhodes 5/6 kts.  They are powered by 25-hp 4 strokes.  Fuel consumption
is about .75gal/hr.  Ownership costs would be about the same as a new
Rhodes.  Probably a little less.

Richard Smith