[Rhodes22-list] Isabel - impact on Williamsburg, VA

Saroj - COX saroj at pathfind.net
Sat Sep 27 20:41:55 EDT 2003

Thanks, Slim.  The ferns and azaleas are all in good shape.  Had no hostas,
but a similar plant can't think of the name of. And the rosemary "bushes",
basil, mint and parsley are fairing well.  The two Japanese maples look good
too. I used to feel the same way as you about the beautiful BIG trees.
Don't any more.  One of the amazing things to see is just how shallow the
root balls are for these 150' oaks and beeches.  One uprooted oak had a
spring under it we discovered.  There is so much rain here that the trees
don't have to send down roots.  One reason so many came down I'm sure.
Right now they look like killers to me just ready to spring into action.
They just aren't safe in this particular environment.  We have a lot of dog
wood which hopefully will increase now that the canope is gone.  Lots of
native hollies too and a few magnolias.  Those trees are a lot safer to have
near the house and very pretty.  Now they will have a chance.

Aside from the missing porch - still cluttered with debris -- and the triple
oak still lying across the back yard (and some broken parquets here and
there), life is getting more and more back to normal.  Secretly I'm loving
playing with the chain saw - especially now that I have my Stihl back from
my son in AZ, but I'd swear that EVERY muscle in my body is sore.  Going to
arrange for a massage tomorrow.  The market is for shit right now unless
someone can sit and watch the indeces minute by minute, so good time to be
distracted by something else.

I'll be glad to get Pathfinder back into the water.  Going to replace the
mast head light bulb while the mast is down and try to bribe someone to take
her back to the marina next week.  These are the best sailing days and I
don't want to miss them.

Life just ain't that hard in the scheme of things.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Saroj